To volunteer in Madeley Community Library to help members of the public visiting the library and assist in library routines, thereby maintaining an effective service in a pleasant environment.
Undertaking general library routines and procedures including:
- Meeting and greeting library customers
- Joining people to the library
- Assisting library users with self service
- Helping customers to find the resources they want
- Helping customers with computers
- Assisting with library events
- Helping with library displays
- Helping to maintain the book stock
- Re-shelving books and keeping the library safe and tidy
- Checking shelves for requested items/books
- Notifying customers of the arrival of requested items
- Helping to promote the library service in the community
- Assisting with the location of books, audio books and DVDs
- Providing general information about Library services
- Book maintenance e.g. jacketing
- Supporting library activities e.g. children’s groups (Optional)
- Providing ideas and suggestions to improve and promote Library services
Regularity of Duties
A monthly rota is to be completed one month in advance by the volunteers to ensure that the library opening hours are covered so any hours that are not are brought to the immediate attention of the Parish Council Clerk and/or the Assistant Clerk. Alternative cover can then be made in sufficient time.
Training and Support
Each library support volunteer will receive induction training, and will learn day to day skills over a period of time by shadowing experienced library assistants, or other volunteers.
On-the-job training will be provided when routines alter, and refresher training will be available. Optional additional training will be organised periodically for those who wish to commit further.
A help line for volunteers will be provided by Telford & Wrekin Council should the need arise./p>